Please see below our current job vacancies. Be sure to check back from time to time to keep updated.
Senior Chemist – Industrial & Protective Paints
UK Coatings and its subsidiaries Thomas Howse Ltd & T & R Williamson Ltd are leading manufacturers of paints and coatings for an international customer base. Due to succession planning, an opportunity exists in R & D with a newly created role responsible for developing and improving existing products for a range of paints and coatings including industrial, heavy duty, performance, protective and powder. This will suit an experienced paint and coatings formulator who is creative, enjoys hands-on development work.
Laboratory based, the role will be varied and encompass a range of responsibilities including the research and development of new paints, coatings and finishes and the improvement of existing products.
- Formulation and testing of paints, coatings and finishes for a range of applications.
- Responsible for scaling up of formulations for pilot trials and production batches.
- Liaison with production, quality and commercial departments.
- Provide technical advice and support to customers,
- Ensuring quality of product through testing and analysis of raw materials and finished products.
- Contribute to the development of the product range so that commercial opportunities can be best exploited.
- Provide QC documentation and procedures for raw materials and finished products.
- Liaison with suppliers and sourcing of new materials to meet changes in legislation.
- Experience in the development and formulation of industrial coatings, heavy duty / performance coatings is essential
- Ideally to have worked with alkyds, epoxy, epoxy acrylate and some non-convertible coatings.
- Knowledge and experience of powder coatings would be advantageous. Powder is typical hybrid systems and primid types.
- To be competent in the safe operation of equipment, including; general lab equipment & ovens, calibration of laboratory equipment, operation of pilot line (with the appropriate training).
- Can produce panels for accelerated tests and is aware of the chemistry of degradation and corrosion.
- Familiar with the operation of paint application equipment
- Degree not essential but a minimum of HNC Chemistry or equivalent
- Able to work independently and manage own projects.
- Experienced in paint application methods.
- Understand and interpret coating specifications. Knowledge of specification 81 would be advantageous.
- Confident communicator with fluent in written and spoken English.
- Must have the right to work in the UK.
Technical Sales Assistant
Purpose: Carries out product, process and Raw material analysis
Responsible for coordinating with the Sales & Technical team the activities of the customers with regard to customer requirements and associated support (pilot work) safety, under guidance from the line manager. Requires some basic coatings knowledge to provide good advice and sales support for customers.
- Carries out customer support telephone calls and / or visits.
- Ensures the performance of products offered match the customer requirements and provides commercial offers and marketing support for the line manager.
- Regularly coordinates with the Laboratory on customer projects and requirements for new development.
- Prepares quotations, feedback on quotations and market competition.
- Arranges for the issuing of orders, samples and technical literature.
- Follows up with customers and line manager on quotations, samples and support work.
- Operates in a safe manner in accordance with instructions and any defined procedures.
- Assists the line manager in carrying out experiments, product development, problem simulation, product training, responding to technical queries and demonstrations.
- Follows written or oral instructions in all work given by the line manager, for any additional work required to support the customer.
- Carries out housekeeping work including preparing equipment for safe use in accordance with company guidelines.
- Minimum A level Chemistry (Bachelor Degree in Chemistry / Chemical Engineering preferable)
- Experience not required but some previous lab experience preferred
- CChem useful but not essential
Job Skills / Knowledge:
- Analytical instruments operation and application equipment handling
- Patent / process / internet search procedures for marketing and competitor activity
- Chemicals Handling (including environmental, safety / MSDS understanding)
- Safe working practices in a Laboratory Environment (paint factory)
- Good Communication skills
- Good negotiation skills and commercial awareness
- Capable of understanding and following company procedures and guidelines.